Health and Travel Insurance for International Students

The New Zealand Government’s Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 requires all international students to have appropriate health and travel insurance during their period of study.

WelTec’s responsibility under the Code is to ensure each international student enrolled for two weeks or longer has appropriate insurance covering—

a) the student’s travel— (i) to and from New Zealand; and (ii) within New Zealand; and (iii) if the travel is part of the course, outside New Zealand; and

b) medical care in New Zealand, including diagnosis, prescription, surgery, and hospitalisation; and

c) repatriation or expatriation of the student as a result of serious illness or injury, including the cover of travel costs incurred by family members assisting repatriation or expatriation; and

d) death of the student, including the cover of— (i) travel costs of family members to and from New Zealand; and (ii) costs of repatriation or expatriation of the body; and (iii) funeral expenses

You are required to have approved insurance for the duration of your study, regardless of the type of visa you have.

This information is correct as of September 2018.