If you intend to pay your fees by Student Loan and/or apply for a Student Allowance, you need to apply online at www.studylink.govt.nz by clicking on the APPLY NOW link. The application will work out what you are entitled to and will allow you to apply.
What StudyLink offer:
- Student Allowance: a weekly payment that you do not need to pay back. You have to meet particular criteria to be eligible.
- Student Loan: a loan to pay your fees, course costs and a weekly payment if you cannot get a Student Allowance.
- Other assistance: the online application will work out if you are eligible for anything else (e.g. accommodation, disability, childcare).
Information you will need to provide to StudyLink:
- A verified copy* of;
Birth Certificate or Passport and
Evidence of citizenship or permanent residency and
IRD number (e.g. a letter from IRD)
Bank account (e.g. a bank statement)
Recent payslips if you or your partner are working
- If you are under 24, generally your parents will need to provide evidence of their current gross annual income from either;
The source of their income (e.g. rental properties, savings or dividends).
* ‘verified copy’ means certified as a copy of the original by a StudyLink/Work and Income person, or a JP.
Answers to frequently asked questions:
- You do not need to be accepted or enrolled to apply for your Student Loan or Allowance. You can apply at any time so don’t wait to be accepted before you apply!
- You need to give StudyLink a verified copy of your birth certificate or passport, IRD number and bank account number. if you are under 24, generally your parents will need to show evidence of their current gross annual income.
- You need to allow a minimum of 4 weeks for your StudyLink application to be approved. If you leave it too late, your fees may not be paid on time and you may miss payments.
- The online application takes about 30 minutes to complete. If you find applying online difficult, phone StudyLink on 0800 88 99 00 and book an appointment with the nearest office for someone to help you.
- StudyLink will not pay your fees or course costs until 2 weeks before the course starts.
- Your first weekly payment will be in the second week of your course.
Wellington Outreach StudyLink
Click here for a list of locations, days and times that StudyLink is available in the Wellington Region.
Contact 0800 88 99 00 to make an appointment.
Need more information?
Visit www.studylink.govt.nz or contact 0800 88 99 00.