Pasifika at WelTec
Pasifika Support Services
Talofa lava, Kia orana, Bula vinaka, Malo e lelei, Bozu, Taloha ni, Yes Olgeta, Aap Kaise Hai, Fakaalofa lahi atu.
WelTec’s Pasifika Centre is here to provide extra support to students of Pacific ethnicity wherever you are studying at WelTec.
Come for a visit to the Pasifika Centre at Petone Campus, or contact us by phone or email and find out how you can:
- get the most out of your learning journey at WelTec attend learning support tutorials both individually and in groups
- get learning support that best suits your needs
- use our Pasifika Student Lounge as a great place to chill out with friends. Turn the stereo on, pick up a guitar or ukulele, make a cup of coffee and get to know our friendly staff
- use the Pasifika Student Lounge computers to check your emails and get that head-start on your assignment.
Contact: Pasifika Centre
Phone: 0800 WelTec (935 832), Outside New Zealand: 64 4 9202 400
Hours: 8.30 am-4.30 pm, Monday-Friday
Location: Student Hub, T Block, Petone Campus
Scholarships for Pasifika students intending to study at WelTec are also available.
Details of these are available here or can be discussed with staff at the Pasifika Centre.
Success for Pacific Learners:
The Impact of Tertiary Education Strategies
Ako Aotearoa commissioned WelTec to investigate and assess the impact of successive Tertiary Education Strategies (TES) on success for Pasifika learners by answering the following two questions:
- How have government strategy documents influenced institutional strategies and organisational change within tertiary education institutions to support the participation and success of Pasifika learners?
- What are the perceptions of tertiary education institutions on how the Tertiary Education Commission and other government agencies have incentivised and supported these organisational changes?
The evidence collected was consistent with the view that successive TES have influenced the performance management activities of tertiary education institutions. However, this influence is only one of a number of internal and external, and local and national influences.
Further, the Pasifika objectives within each of the three TES are considered to be an important signal to TEIs that success for Pasifika learners is a significant and continuing government priority and are seen as an important enabler of change. These objectives have raised the priority for action to support Pasifika learners, unlocked resources for Pasifika initiatives and promoted the inclusion of Pasifika priorities on the strategic agendas of TEIs.
- Download a copy of the full report