Services and Support for International Students
WelTec’s friendly, professional International Team will assist you with all the help and support that you need from the moment you arrive in New Zealand
WelTec International organises activities and events throughout the year helping International Students settle into life in New Zealand. International Students have the opportunity to experience life as a New Zealander by joining in with trips, social activities, and institutional, local and community events while sharing and celebrating your culture.
We are dedicated to ensuring your time at WelTec is successful and enjoyable.
- When you arrive in Wellington, the International Team can arrange for you to be picked up from the airport and driven to your accommodation free of charge. Book your free airport pickup by following the directions here
- We can give you advice on different accommodation options-and help you decide on the right accommodation for you in Wellington
- WelTec’s unique International Orientation includes workshops and activities to support your successful transition to studying and living in New Zealand
- Make Connections- Activities and Events for International Students
- Student Support - the International Team will provide you with pastoral care and special support in your study, home life and recreational activities, and in any other areas that you may require.
- Learning Support Service - a central place where International students can find all the assistance they need for success in their studying
Code of Practice
WelTec has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.
Please read this important information before you arrive in New Zealand insurance, WelTec’s refund policy, Visa’s, Immigration and International Enrolment. If you have any questions, email us.
If you are under 18…
Before your application to WelTec is processed, your parents are required to sign a under-18 consent/indemnity form which allows you to study at WelTec.
To ensure your safety while in New Zealand you will:
- Be placed in a WelTec approved homestay family who you are required to stay with until you turn 18
- Meet with our International Student Advisor (Support) regularly to discuss your wellbeing and resolve any issues
WelTec will send your parents quarterly reports on your progress and general wellbeing.
Pastoral Care and Support for International Students
The New Zealand Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students requires that WelTec has a designated person or persons to be responsible for all inquiries about pastoral care from international students.
Rae Ridley, International Student Advisor (Support) has this responsibility at WelTec.
Rae is available to provide confidential assistance and advice on any questions or concerns you might have in adapting to study and life in New Zealand, including:
- Information and advice on accommodation options
- Coping with homesickness and culture as you adjust to living in New Zealand
- General health and wellbeing
- Information and advice on accessing welfare facilities, including personal health services, mental health serivces, drug education and counselling, and problem gambling
- Advice on accessing information on sexuality education, health promotion, and sexual and reproductive health services
- Student advocacy and grievance procedures at WelTec
- New Zealand law and legal issues
- Assistance to anyone who is facing difficulties
Rae can help you access services within and outside of WelTec to provide you with the information and help you need.
Rae is available Monday to Friday, 9-4pm
Rae can be contacted on her mobile number for after hours emergencies only
WelTec International, Petone Campus, in the Student Hub (T Block)
Phone: +64 4 9202 594
Mobile: +64 27 498 6076