Services and Support for International Students
WelTec’s professional International Team are responsible for International Marketing and Recruitment, International Student Applications, Admissions and Enrolment, and for monitoring the pastoral care of International Students during the time of their enrolment.
We are dedicated to ensuring your time at WelTec is successful and enjoyable.
- When you arrive in Wellington, the International Team can arrange for you to be picked up from the airport and driven to your accommodation free of charge. Book your free airport pickup by following the directions here
- We can give you advice on different accommodation options-and help you decide on the right accommodation for you in Wellington
- WelTec’s unique International Orientation includes workshops and activities to support your successful transition to studying and living in New Zealand
- Make Connections- Activities and Events for International Students
- Student Support - the International Team will provide you with pastoral care and special support in your study, home life and recreational activities, and in any other areas that you may require.
- Learning Support Service - a central place where International students can find all the assistance they need for success in their studying
Code of Practice
WelTec has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.
Please read this important information to help you prepare for your time in New Zealand: insurance, WelTec’sInternational Student Refund Policy, Visa’s, Immigration and the Application and Enrolment process for International Students.
Student aged 17 at time of enrolment
WelTec accepts International Students aged 17 years (but not younger) at the time of programme commencement.
Special arrangements apply to students aged under 18 years under the Code of Practice.
Your parents are required to sign a under-18 consent/indemnity form. Your application to study at WelTec will not be processed until this form is signed by your parents/guardians.
To ensure your safety while in New Zealand:
- You will be placed with a WelTec approved homestay family. You are required to stay in this home until you turn 18. This requirement applies to weekends, holidays and WelTec vacation periods.
- You will be required to meet WelTec's International Student Advisor (Support) regularly, to discuss your wellbeing and resolve any issues.
- Quaterly reports will be send to your parents/guardians about your attendance, progress, achievements, and any issues or concerns identified by academic or support staff. Your parents will be asked to acknowledge receipt of these reports.
Designated Person - Pastoral Care
The New Zealand Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students requires that WelTec has a designated person to be responsible for all inquiries about pastoral care from international students.
Rae Ridley, International Student Advisor (Support) has this responsibility at WelTec.
Rae is available to provide confidential assistance and advice on any questions or concerns you might have in adapting to study and life in New Zealand, including:
- Information and advice on accommodation options
- Coping with homesickness and culture as you adjust to living in New Zealand
- General health and wellbeing
- Information and advice on accessing welfare facilities, including personal health services, mental health services, drug education and counselling, and problem gambling
- Advice on accessing information on sexuality education, health promotion, and sexual and reproductive health services
- Student advocacy and grievance procedures at WelTec
- New Zealand law and legal issues
- Assistance to anyone who is facing difficulties
Rae will help you access services within and outside of WelTec to provide you with the information and help you need.
Contact hours and availability
Rae is available Monday to Friday, 9-4pm
Rae can be contacted on her mobile number for after hours emergencies only
WelTec International, Petone Campus, in the Student Hub (T Block)
Phone: +64 4 9202 594
Mobile: +64 27 498 6076
Content approved by International Director, March 2016