INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS » Preparing to Study in NZ » Visas and Immigration
 International Prospectus
 Application Form

Immigration and Student Visas

Apply for a visa

Applying from overseas

  1. Complete the Student Visa Application form on the INZ website, including all required supporting documents
  2. Send your passport to your nearest INZ visa application centre. Your passport must not expire during the course of study in New Zealand

Required supporting documents:

  • Receipt of payment of your WelTec fees
  • Evidence that you have funds to support yourself while you’re studying
  • Evidence of return travel when your study is complete

Full details about the supporting documents that you must supply are available on Immigration New Zealand’s website.

Visa Renewals

You can apply for your visa renewal through WelTec if you:

  1. Currently hold a valid New Zealand visa
  2. Are a full-time student

If your student visa needs renewing please make an appointment by emailing international.visas@weltec.ac.nz

Student visa conditions

You must meet the conditions of your student visa while you’re studying in New Zealand, including:

  • Attending classes
  • Making reasonable academic progress
  • Holding approved insurance. WelTec’s Offer of Place includes fees for our default insurance policy.

Medical Requirements

You will be required to provide chest x-ray if:

  • You are from a country not listed on the low TB-Incident Countries, Areas and Territories list and are intending to stay longer than 6 months.
  • You have visited a country not on the list for a combined stay of 3 months or more in the past 5 years
  • You have provided a chest x-ray certificate in their previous application but spend 6 consecutive months in any one or more countires not listed on the Low TB-Incident Countries, Areas and Territories list.
  • You do not need to submit a Police Certificate if you are applying for a student visa as a full fee paying student and the Police Certificate submitted with an earlier application was issued less than 36 months ago.

Post-study Work Visa for Graduates

If you are a student who has completed a qualification or qualifications in New Zealand, but you do not have a job offer, you may be eligible for a Post-study work visa - open for a maximum of 12 months. Then, when you have found a job, you can apply for a further visa for up to two or three years under the Study to Work category.

To be eligible for a Post-study work visa (open) you must:

  • have successfully completed a qualification in New Zealand that meets the study to work qualification requirements
  • apply no later than three months after the end date of the student visa for that qualification
  • provide evidence of a minimum of NZ$4,200 available to maintain yourself during your 12-month stay in New Zealand (we will accept traveller's cheques or bank documents in your name).

You must apply for the Post Study Work Visa no more than 3 months after the end date of the student visa which allowed you to study the eligible qualification.

The fastest and easiest way to apply for a work visa is to submit an online application.

For further information, please refer to New Zealand Immigration Service website

 Medical and Travel Insurance

Eligibility for Health Services

Most International Students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details of entitlements to publicy funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at www.moh.govt.nz

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visits to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at www.acc.co.nz.

Medical and Travel Insurance

International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while in New Zealand.

International students must hold acceptable medical insurance as a condition of their visa from the period of their enrolment until the expiry of their student visa. WelTec has arranged insurance cover for all international students enrolled at WelTec. WelTec covers its students through Comprehensive Travel Insurance and the insurance cost is included in your WelTec programme fee. Once paid you are covered for health, travel and personal effects from your journey to New Zealand to the last date for your programme plus one month.

WelTec International Student Claim Form

WelTec International Student Insurance Policy

For more information on the policy and claims, please email international.insurance@weltec.ac.nz .



 Page approved by General Manager, International, December 2016